The Fast and Fabulous FASTag
Long-distance traveling has never been any more efficient and enjoyable with FASTag. Whether it is a goods lorry going miles or a long drive with loved ones, toll booths and waiting in queue to pay the toll are essential parts of that drive. But, FASTag has cut short that time and allows speedy toll payments when the vehicle is in motion. In simple terms, it is an electronic toll collection payment system. It has become an excellent step to ensure a non-stop ride both for the regular and occasional travelers.
What is it?
A FASTag is a sticker that contains an embedded chip and antenna. It is stuck on the windshield of any car or vehicle. It allows an automatic collection of toll charges when the vehicle passes through the plaza. The payment is made without stopping at the booth.
How did it start?
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) wanted to create a program that filled the gaps of India's current tolling systems. Thus, the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) was born. This system not only met the need for an electronic tolling payment but also provided clearing services. . Thus, the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) was born. This system not only met the need for an electronic tolling payment but also provided clearing services.
In 2014, a series of pilot studies took place at the Stretch of the Golden Quadrilateral from Ahmedabad to Mumbai. They commended the shorter queues, time conservation and eradicated the trouble of carrying exact change.
The pilot studies' success prompted the acceptance of FASTag payments at toll plazas in the Chennai-Bangalore stretch of the Quadrilateral in 2015. In 2016, FASTag payments covered 70% of all toll booths in the country. pilot studies' success prompted the acceptance of FASTag payments at toll plazas in the Chennai-Bangalore stretch of the Quadrilateral in 2015. In 2016, FASTag payments covered 70% of all toll booths in the country.
The government noticed the efficiency FASTag was bringing to the Indian market. So, in late 2019, FASTag became the mandatory payment system in all toll plazas of India.
Who does FASTag apply to?
FASTag applies to:
- All categories and kinds of vehicles, including commercial/private cars, buses, trucks, lorries, etc.
- Indian Highways Management Company (IHMCL) is associated with the NHAI, the NPCI, and the 23 banks governed by NPCI. They manage FASTag. With their efforts and the help of Toll Plaza Concessionaires, electronic toll payments are possible.
Why does it matter?
- Without the burden of physical cash, commuters save fuel and waiting time.
- Commuters are always kept in the loop of FASTag transactions with an SMS alert on their phones.
- FASTag avoids congestion at the toll plaza and keeps a check on both vehicles and toll booths.
- FASTag reduces air pollution and paper consumption.
- FASTag is essential as it provides both financial and managerial comforts. It is advisable to issue one for your vehicle, or else you will be charged double the toll amount on your trip.
The road to success
FASTag continues to keep commuters traveling far and wide have a hassle-free journey. Who would have known that a tiny sticker would cause so much ease!
We hope to see more of FASTag's success!